• Home
  • /
  • Topics
  • /
  • Student Safety re: Unhoused encampments/hotels etc

Student Safety re: Unhoused encampments/hotels etc

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Danielle Weston
    Participant

Colleagues,

As you know, in recent months, we have received communication from concerned RRISD citizens about
    the City of Austin’s intent to purchase a hotel to house the homeless that is located one mile from
    Grisham MS and one mile from Westwood HS.
    I asked Pres Weir to put the following resolution on our regular May board meeting as an action agenda
    item for a vote. She agreed and asked me to post proposed language here for you all to review in
    advance in order to make our meeting more efficient.
    We know that the majority of homeless individuals suffer from either mental illness, addiction, or both.
    My family is no stranger to this difficulty as one of my own immediate family members was homeless for a period of
    time a few years ago when he was addicted to drugs. There are differing opinions on whether
    converting a hotel into a homeless residence is prudent or not. This proposed resolution does not
    address that question. This resolution seeks to communicate a desired safer radius around our schools
    to our municipal partners.
    I have the name and phone number of an RRISD stakeholder who has been working for a long time with elected and
    unelected municipal and legislative partners on this. Let me know if you’d like to speak to her and I’ll provide her name and number to you privately.

WHEREAS we, the Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees prioritize the safety of our students and staff
    members and volunteers.
    WHEREAS our students inside a two mile radius of their school do not receive bussing services so many of them
    walk to school.
    WHEREAS multiple reports of violent crime and fires in homeless encampments have been reported in
    local media.
    WHEREAS we believe that the needs of the homeless including having access to mental health and
    addiction treatment should be addressed with the goal of reducing the number of unhoused persons.
    WHEREAS we fully support our long-standing Families in Transition program as well as the efforts of our
    partners including the Partners in Education Foundation to address the needs of our homeless students.
    WHEREAS we stand ready to work with the City of Austin and other municipalities to collaborate on
    solutions that will help unhoused persons gain long-term housing.
    BE IT RESOLVED that we, the Board of Trustees oppose the establishment of homeless encampments,
    hotels or other premises that are inside of a two mile radius of any RRISD school. We understand that
    facilities for the homeless are needed. We believe these facilities should be outside of two miles from
    our schools.

Danielle Weston
    Participant

I want to let my colleagues know that since HB 1925 passed through both Texas legislative chambers with bi-partisan support and is headed to the governor’s desk to be signed into law, I have let Pres Weir know that I no longer wish to place this item on the agenda.

HB 1925 relates to prohibitions on camping in a public place and to a political subdivision’s designation of property for camping by homeless individuals. We aren’t allowed to post hyperlinks here on the message board so you’ll have to look up the bill to read it if you’re interested. It’s a short 9 pages. Pages 4 and 5 set forth requirements for the locations of homeless housing including the availability of local health care, access to Medicaid services and mental health services, availability of indigent services, availability of public transportation etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Round Rock ISD Trustees Message Board’ is closed to new topics and replies.