• Home
  • /
  • Topics
  • /
  • COVID Planning — Masks in Schools?

COVID Planning — Masks in Schools?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not sure what our policy will be regarding requiring students to wear masks when they return to school. Mandatory? Recommended?

While it seems logical and prudent to make wearing masks mandatory, in order to mitigate the spread of COVID, is it really practical and enforceable in our schools? I suspect it would be challenging to require a first or second grader to social distance and wear a mask all day long. They’re kids ! I saw someone post that it would be easier to keep a mask on her cat for a half hour than on her six year old son. Masks are uncomfortable. Adults are generally willing to put up with a little discomfort for safety’s sake. But that’s not how 6 year olds (or 16 year olds) think. Obviously no masks will be worn at lunchtime. What about at recess or PE? On the bus? I don’t want to see bus drivers distracted by enforcing mask wearing, nor do I want to see too many kids on a bus not wearing a mask.

Will teachers need to wear masks? If so, will that detract from the learning experience and ultimately student outcomes?

This will be a hot topic (no pun intended) and I am curious to learn if other trustees have opinions on these matters.

Amy Weir

Our COVID presentations have talked about the district buying masks, but we haven’t been part of the discussion on what steps will actually be taken next year. So I don’t think there is a policy in place, at least not one that we’ve approved or has been presented.
    I agree it will be extremely difficult to keep masks on kids, but in my opinion they will probably be necessary. But if they are mandated, will the district be providing them to students that forget or don’t have their own? I’m not sure that’s a cost we discussed in the budget presentations.
    I attended the webinar, now on YouTube – How to Reopen K-12 Schools in the Safest Way Possible: A Path Forward – that was informative. There is still so much that is unknown. Dr. Flores did say the administration will have a plan by July 17th. I’m not sure if that will be presented to the Board or just communicated directly with the community.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Round Rock ISD Trustees Message Board’ is closed to new topics and replies.